Inner Banner

3 things to know while making a vehicle insurance claim

Car crash. Two drivers arguing in car accident

In the event of an incident giving rise to a claim under the policy, the following steps should be taken

In case of accidental damage to your vehicle:

  • Immediate claim intimation to the policy issuing office specified on the policy or to the office that is closest to the place of accident. The office shall issue a claim form.
  • Claim form must be duly filled and submitted to the insurance company either by you or the service centre (only in case of a cashless arrangement between the insurance company and the service centre) along with a copy of the RC (registration certificate), driving license of the driver of the vehicle at the time of accident and the estimate of repairs.
  • Once the required documents are submitted, a Surveyor, who will be appointed by the insurance company, shall survey the damage on the vehicle and submit the report to the insurance company. In case of major damage to the vehicle, a spot survey, at the site of accident, would also be arranged by the insurance company.
  • Final bills/cash memos are to be submitted duly signed by the insured/customer to the insurance company.

In case of theft of the vehicle:

  • Lodge an F.I.R. (First Information Report) with the police immediately.
  • Inform the policy issuing office and submit a copy of the FIR along with the other documents mentioned above.
  • Submit the Final Police Report to the policy issuing office as soon as it is received.
  • Extend full cooperation to the investigator appointed by the insurance company.
  • After approval of the claim by the insurance company, transfer the RC (Registration Certificate) in the name of the insurance company, hand over the spare keys of the vehicle and submit a letter of Subrogation and Indemnity on a stamp paper duly notarized to the insurance company.

In case of liability or third party claim:

Your legal liability for the damage you may cause to a third party only – bodily injury, death and damage to third party property – while using your vehicle:

  • Inform the insurance company immediately of any incident that is likely to give rise to a liability or claim by a third party.
  • In case of receipt of summons from a Court, the same should be sent to the insurance company immediately.
  • Claim form must be duly filled and submitted to the insurance company along with a copy of the FIR, charge sheet, RC and driving license.
  • In case you are the third party here, you must first file an FIR with the police and obtain a charge sheet. After this, you can approach a motor claims lawyer and follow the due legal process.

P.S. Cashless facility would enable you to not pay any money from your own pocket for repairs over and above the excess or deductible on your policy that you agreed to bear in case of claim while purchasing the policy. The insurance company will pay the claim amount minus your excess or deductible directly to the service centre thus avoiding you the headaches of huge bills and paperwork.

Categorized as Insurance Education Tagged , , ,

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *